Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Drove a standard for the first time...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Tom Civic's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2000
    Posts
    475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did quite well for a first timer. I pushed the clutch down all the way, started it up and off I went. A Five speed is very addicting and I want one now. Just letting u guys know, if any of u are interested in how I did.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member BoostedEX's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2000
    Posts
    759
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Now get that manual swap!!! The first time I drove a standard was a blast. I had no trouble driving the car home from the dealer only after having about 30 minutes of practice!!

    ------------------
    95 civic EX coupe, JRSC@6psi, BTC set at 3 clicks, 8psi coming soon with all the goodies.......

  3. #3
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hahaha...well this GSR was the first manual car I've ever had. When I took her home, she stalled at every single red light redface I swear, it was the car!!! biggrin

  4. #4
    Inactive Member FoxRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 1999
    Posts
    247
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The first time I drove a manual was 3 minutes after paying a man for the car. The gears weren't clearly marked on the shift knob and took me about 15 minutes to find reverse on that damn VW Fox. Getting it into motion from a dead stop without stalling it took some practice too.

    Fun car. Very light. I drove it death.

    Sean

    ------------------
    99 GS-R w/ JRSC@6PSI. ES torque mounts & shift stabilizer, Eibach ProKit springs, and KYB AGX shocks. Oh..And a filter onna stick.

  5. #5
    Site Administrator Team Hostboard's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    997,450
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Post

    Been driving since I was about 7. Dad used to take me to parking lots on Sundays and let me sit on his lap while I navigated. When I was 14 he started to let me actually drive with him in the passenger seat. It was a manual so that is how/when I learned.


  6. #6
    Inactive Member JRSCGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    246
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haha, same thing happened to me as randomwalk. I learned how to drive stick after I pulled off the dealer lot with a brand new 97 GSR. I got out of the lot fine, but I stalled at the first light, and then probably every other night that light until I got some more practice. For the first week, it took me about 5-10 seconds to get off the line smoothly while slipping the clutch slower than you can imagine. I laugh when I think about how stupid I was trying to learn on my brand new car, but heh, my car is still running fine, and I didn't really want to wait to pick it up, oh well...

    Jon

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My first clutch was on a motorcycle at the tender age of 12. I think I stalled it 8 times before I got out of my driveway!

    When I drove a car for the first time (Suburu 4wd 5spd, "borrowed" from my step-father! at age 15) I had no trouble at all.

    Actually, after I wrecked my first car (74 Capri, 4spd manual, 40mph into a telephone pole), my parents saddled me with a 78 Safari Wagon. I looked like a fool driving an automatic for the first time. I kept slamming to a stop as I hit the brake like a clutch!

    Greg

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I learned to drive in a 1973 Ford F-100 with a three speed on the tree (steering column for those that are too young to know) !!!

    heheh

    If you can handle one of these... you can drive ANYTHING.


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Heh... My bro had a 60-something Nash Rambler with 3 on the tree. That car sucked!

    Greg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •